Lettering for SOO’s 1937 AAR design boxcars
In November, 1936, the SOO received 100 cars of the 1937 AAR design 10’-0” IH design from Pullman-Standard Car Company, Lot 5535, as Series 136000-136198 (even numbers only) and assigned to subsidary Wisconsin Central. Note the WC in the upper left hand corner of the car denoting that this car series is assigned to subsidiary Wisconsin Central.
Paint & Lettering: As delivered the cars were painted SOO’s oxide red: TCP-243 . Ends, underframe and truck side frames coated with black car cement. Between 1936 and 1945 the paint and lettering scheme displayed the white parallelogram emblem with the black background.
See example on 43056 below for decal placement. Beginning in 1949 and through 1951the black backgound was removed and the parallelogram was with white outlines only. This applies to all repaints during this period. Beginning in 1951, the SOO went to the 48“ high billboard lettering and the parallelogram was discontinued.
Footnote: The original Wisconsin Central (1893-1909) was leased by the MSt.P&SSM in 1909. The word ‘Sault” of Minneapolis, St. Paul & Sault Ste. Marie, is pronounced “soo”, hence the road’s nickname which later became it’s legal name.
Lettering set designed and created at Protocraft Decals with artwork by Ken Soroos
Background color shown above is not included in decal sheet