lettering for Linde Air’s Canadian division box tank car fleet
In 1903, a German engineer, Carl von Linde, developed a new cryogenic air separation process that significantly increased the mass production of oxygen, used in metal cutting and welding, munitions and medical needs. In 1907, Linde established the first liquid oxygen factory in Buffalo, N.Y. under the name Linde Air Products Company, headquartered in Cleveland, Ohio. The Linde group joined with Union Carbide in 1911, and by 1992 with splits of various subsidiaries into divisions, under the common stock Praxair, employing over 74,000 employees worldwide.
While the basic ingredient was free - air - storage and transportation was very costly. Building on-site plants to supply major customers was one way to solve the transportation problem, but merchant liquid delivery was relegated to tanker truck or railroad tank cars such as CGBX 603 called a ‘box tank’ above, registered to Canadian General Transit Company, ltd, in Montreal, QUE., holding 6,700 gallons of liquid oxygen, and leased by Praxair as Series 601-612.
Paint & Lettering: Cars were painted freight car reddish brown. Lettering all white stencil paste.
Decal set designed and created at Protocraft Decals
Background color shown above is not included in decal sheet