lettering set for Phillips Petroleum 8000 gallon tank car
Phillips Petroleum Company was formed in 1917 by two brothers, Lee and Frank Phillips, in Bartlesville, Oklahoma. In 1925, the company expanded into the natural gas production and distribution, and in 1942, bought 250,000 acres of natural gas elds and became the largest producer of natural gas in the U.S. After the war, Phillips expanded into the fertilizer business and formed Phillips Chemical Co. By 1927, the company had it’s rst renery to produce automotive fuel, and during WWII greatly expanded production, later opening gas stations along Highway 66, the precursor to it’s corporate name. Tank cars under Phillips used reporting marks P.S.P.X. Phillips established crude oil pipelines under the name Bartex with tank cars given reporting marks S.W.L.X.
This decal set letters one of 393 insulated tank cars under reporting marks of P.S.P.X. with series from 2001-2400, ICC Class ARA IV
Paint & Lettering: Car painted all black. Lettering aluminum stencil paste.
Decal set designed and created at Protocraft Decals
Printed by Microscale Industries