lettering set for UCR’s 50-ton drop-bottom General Service Gondolas
Created in 1917 to haul coal from the Spring Canyon mines in Carbon County, Utah. The UCR was a joint venture between the Utah Railway and the Los Angeles & Salt Lake Railroad - eventually becoming a subsidiary of the Union Pacic. It was known as the Utah Coal Route with reporting marks UCR. The spelled-out name UCR was used only on these 2,000 cars and primarily was a marketing scheme promoting coal mined in Utah. The UTC eventually received 2,000 GS gondolas of the Enterprise design built in 1917 and assigned as 20000-21999 series.
(These were the same design cars purchased by the UP in 1920 as G-50-7, Series 62000-63999. - also (SP) T&NO Series 41300-41424). In 1957, the cars built in 1917, were “timed-out” based on the AAR’s 40-year rule prohibiting unrestricted interchange service. In 1958, the URC purchased 200, 42’, 3-bay, 15-panel side hoppers from Pullman-Standard to replace the aging UCR cars, as Series 3000-3199. The rest of the dunnage went on UP cars.
Decal set designed and created at Protocraft Decals
Printed by Microscale Industries
Background color shown above is not included in decal sheet