lettering set for Quanah’s USRA boxcars - two versions (+ caboose)
The QA&P was controlled by the St Louis & San Francisco Railroad as an interchange between the Red River in Oklahoma and Floydada, (Lubbock) Texas with
500 miles of trackage. The road was promoted as a bridge between the Frisco and the Santa Fe and a route to the Pacific Coast. Freight consisted of plaster and
wallboard from Acme, and cotton, but the Frisco’s main interest was the alternative trac route for it’s through freights. The road was named after the Comanche
chief Quanah, son of Cynthia Ann Parker, the woman who was captured in a 1836 raid and became quite famous because of it.
The first cars obtained was in 1915 and were 25 double-sheathed wood sided with an outward facing channel side sill. These cars had an 8’-0” inside height
and a 40’ length, and were duplicates of the WP/SN‘s 1917 order. Series were 500-524. Beginning in the 1950’s, the QA&P cars were rebuilt with AB brakes and
replacing the original arch-bar trucks with Andrews. Two additional like cars, but with a steel center sill, were acquired and assigned road numbers 531 and
533. The road had five flatcars, 11 tankcars, and by 1950, five cabooses, the latter #46, 47, 49, 50 and 51.
Paint & Lettering: Cars were painted a bright, almost caboose red. Lettering was all white stencil paste. Photographs are rare. Logos varied and reference to
photographs is necessary for accurate placement of both lettering and logos.
Decal set designed and created at Protocraft Decals
Printed by Microscale Industries
Background color shown above is not included in decal sheet