lettering for Union Pacific’s B-50-24/27 Gothic 1939/1947 scheme
From June 1939 to November 1939, the U.P. received 1,200 class B-50-24 cars as Series 187000-188198, the O.W.R.&N. received 700 cars as Series 188300-188999 also as B-50-24 class built in the UP’s Albina shops. In 1940, 1,500 B-50-27 cars were divided between O.W.R.&N. 189000-189299; O.S.L. 189400-189899 built in UP’s Albina shops; and U.P. 19000-190699 built in UP’s Grand Island and Omaha shops.
(This decal sheet contains enough lettering to be able to letter all of the above classes of boxcars)
Paint & Lettering: Cars were painted with UP’s red oxide (TCP-180) including underframe and truck side frames. From June 1939 through July 1947, all freight cars were lettered in Gothic style with white stencil paste. Slogans were Armour Yellow. The thicker S in Streamliners” was replaced with the thinner design with slogans changing to Gothic style also. “Road of the Streamliners” was always on the right side, with “Serves all the West” on the left. Note: When built, the road name UNION PACIFIC stretched slightly over 10’ ; later during repaints at various UP paint shops, the road name was shorter as on 187500 above. Always refer to photographs to determine which to use from this sheet for your model.
Decal set designed and created at Protocraft Decals with artwork by Dick Harley
Printed by Microscale Industries
The modeler should refer to Terry Metcalf’s “UP Freight Cars:1936-51” to more fully understand the UP’s many lettering variations. For
photos and detailed lettering drawings see Dick Harley’s website: https://harley-trains.smugmug.com/UP-PLN-FRT/B-Box-Cars/
Background color shown above is not included in decal sheet