lettering for SSW’s 50’ single 8’ door boxcar - as delivered 1955 DF scheme
The St. Louis Southwestern Railway was organized in 1891 with reporting marks SSW, with 1,600 miles of track, mostly between Tyler, Texas and East St.Louis; including service to Arkansas, Illinois and Louisiana. The road had two passenger trains: the Star and the Morning Star. In 1932, the SP gained control of the SSW but kept it as a separate company.
In August 1941, the SSW’s Pine Bluff, Arkansas shops built 95, 50’ single-door boxcar with 8’ doors. These cars used the light weight side sheeting requiring the alternate rivet pattern, distinctive of the SSW and the UP. Series were 20000-20094. Later in August of 1944, the SSW shops built an additional 90 identical cars as Series 20110-20199. In between were 15 cars with end doors - Series 20095-20109
Paint & Lettering: Car bodies and truck sideframes were painted SP red-brown: TCP 211. Underbody painted with black car cement. Wheels were unpainted and allowed to rust and gather a coating of axle grease. The symbol (in white) on the door indicates that this car is assigned to auto parts service.
After WWII, many of the Cotton Belt’s 50-foot boxcars were equipped with Damage Free (DF) Evans movable Special Devices or Evans Products Company compartmentizers for securing cargo. This greatly reducing cargo damage during travel. In 1955, both the SP and the SSW equipped many of their boxcars with Evans products, and advertised DAMAGE FREE handling with a large 4-1/2 ft rectangle signage in Orange Stencil paint on a black background. Only a year later the DF sign was changed to a 4-1/2 ft yellow ball painted with SP’s Visibility Yellow.
One inch lines above and below the reporting marks were discontinued but periods remained.
Decal set designed and created at Protocraft Decals