lettering for SP’s 50’ A-50-12 automobile car - post war 1946 scheme
The SP received it’s first group of 50‘ double-door, all-steel autocars from General Amercian Transportation Corporation as Class A-50-12, as follows:
Series 69530-70029, 500 cars, General American Transportation Corporation, delivered October-December 1936
Beginning with cars 69555 through 70029, Evans Type F loaders for automobiles were installed. The second batch of cars in 1937, Series 64100-64525, came equipped with truck loaders and the remaining cars in the Series 64526-64924, had no loaders installed and was used for bulky cargo such as farm machinery, long lumber and furniture. Cars came with 4/5 Dreadnaught square-corner ends, Equipco Power hand brakes and wood running boards.
Paint & Lettering: Cars painted with SP’s Freight Car brown: TCP-211. Lettering all white stencil paste. 3” white stripe on right door indicates vehicle loading devices are installed. In the post-war scheme ‘AUTOMOBILE’ was reduced to 7” lettering, and in December of 1951, the horizontal 1” stripe above and below the reporting marks was discontinued as shown on 682949 below.
Decal set designed and created at Protocraft Decals
Background color shown above is not included in decal sheet