lettering for P&LE’s 1937 AAR 10’-0” IH boxcars - 1955 Gothic scheme
Between June 1940 and June 1941, the P&LE received 1,900 boxcars of the new 1937 AAR design with 4/5 DN ends, as follows:
Series 30000-30499, Lot 682-B, 500 cars, Pressed Steel Car Company, Lot 119, delivered July 1940
Series 30500-30999, Lot 683-B, 500 cars, Pullman-Standard Car Company, Lot 5625, delivered June 1940
Series 35000-35899, Lot 697-B, 900 cars, Pressed Steel Car Company, delivered June 1941
Note: The P&LE ran between Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and Youngstown, Ohio, a short run but carried heavy tonnage to the steel mills. It was formed in 1877
and became part of the NYC in 1887. The road did not actually reach Lake Erie until becoming a part of Conrail in 1976.
Model by Protocraft: PC-3524
Decal set designed and created at Protocraft Decals
Printed by Microscale Industries
Paint & Lettering: Sides, roof and ends painted NYC red-brown: TCP-221 Underbody and truck side frames coated with black car cement.
Wheels unpainted and allowed to rust and gather a coating of road grime.
After years of various medallions and lettering designs, beginning in October 1955, the new Gothic style lettering was introduced and the
black background was reinstated. This new medallion had increased dimensions of 54-3/8” x 37-3/4”. In 1958 the road name was spelled out
in large block letters and the slogan “Serves the Steel Centers” as added (P&LE-3b). See decal set P&LE-3 for the earlier schemes. (in May 1959,
the ‘cigar band’ style was introduced.)
Background color shown above is not included in decal sheet