lettering set for Universal Cement 1923 ARA design steel boxcars - original paint scheme
Universal Portland Cement Company of Gary, Indiana, a US Steel subsidiary, received 300, X-29 clone 8’-7” IH design cars from American Car
& Foundry, Lot 9577, in 1923. In 1930, with the merger of UPC and Atlas Cement, became Universal Atlas Cement Company. In 1933, 218 cars
were sold to the Northampton & Bath Railroad, who continued to ship cement, and 65 cars were sold to Hannibal Connecting. The remaining
cars stayed with Universal Atlas.
For a comprehensive study of individual car numbers it is best to consult the charts in Ed Hawkins and Pat Wider’s RP CYC , Vol 21, page 90.
Paint & Lettering: sides are gray. Ends, roof underframe and truck side frames coated with black car cement. Lettering is red, black and white.
Background color shown above is not included in decal sheet