lettering set for SOO LINE’s 1933 ARA boxcars
In October, 1936, the SOO received 600 cars of the 1932 ARA 9’-4” IH design from Pullman-Standard Car Company. The first 500 went to parent MSt.P&SSM, Lot 5534, as Series 41800-42798 (even numbers only); and subsidiary Wisconsin Central received an additional 100 cars under the same lot number, and assigned Series 135800-135998 (even numbers only).
Paint & Lettering: As delivered the cars were painted SOO’s oxide red: TCP-243 . Ends, underframe and truck side frames coated with black car cement. Between 1936 and 1945 the paint and lettering scheme displayed the white parallelogram emblem with the black background. See example below for decal placement. Beginning in 1949 and through 1951 the black background was removed and the parallelogram was with white outlines only. This applies to all repaints during this period. Beginning in 1951, the SOO went to the 48“ high billboard lettering and the parallelogram was discontinued.
Footnote: The original Wisconsin Central (1893-1909) was leased by the MSt.P&SSM in 1909. The word ‘Sault” of Minneapolis, St. Paul & Sault Ste. Marie, is pronounced “soo”, hence the road’s nickname which later became it’s legal name.
This lettering set was designed and created at Protocraft Decals from artwork by Ken Soroos
Background color shown above is not included in decal sheet