lettering for West India Fruit 1952 lettering scheme
In 1946, the West India Fruit Company purchased the Florida East Coast Ferry Company from the railroad and began shipping directly from the Port of Palm Beach, Florida. By 1957 the WIF&S was shipping 500,000 tons of freight to Cuba annually, and 5 vessels carried 80 cars a day to Havana.
In January 1952 West India Fruit received 150 cars from American Car & Foundry under Lot 3593, Series 200 -349. These cars and earlier cars rode the Company's ferries between Havana and Florida from 1946 to 1961. The 5 ferries were: Henry M. Flagler, Joseph R. Parrott, City of Havana, Grand Haven , and New Grand Haven.
On August 7, 1961, with the Castro takeover, all business ceased, and the cars were sold to the Alantic Coast Line as Series 24500-24645.
Paint & Lettering: Cars were painted with Sherman-Williams Terra Cotta Freight Car Red: close to TCP-206. Roof left in unpainted galvanized steel with seam caps painted car color. Underframe coated with black car cement. Lettering and ship white stencil paste with black stencils on ship. The original paint scheme as delivered displayed a straight bow ship. (Note: in 1954, the Company decided to change color and painted cars in a blue-green with yellowish-tan stenciling. With the change in color came the new ship silhouette having a raked bow. - See decal set WIF&S-3)
Decal set designed and created at Protocraft Decals
Printed by Microscale Industries